Most Common Slip and Fall Injuries and Tips to Avoid Them
Colorado personal injury attorney Mack Babcock discusses some of the most common injuries that people sustain from slipping and falling, as well as what you can do to avoid them
Every year, thousands of people are injured in slip and fall accidents in the U.S. Some injuries are a major discomfort, while others are completely debilitating. Occasionally, more serious accidents can even result in death.
There are many reasons slip and fall accidents occur. Such injuries can take place due to the negligence of a property owner, an employer or an individual not being cautious or paying attention.
What are the most common injuries that result from slip and fall accidents? Here are a few:
- Broken Hips and Pelvis – This injury can happen to anyone but is more common with the elderly. Visit our knowledge center to learn more about slip and fall injuries and the elderly.
- Head Injuries – Head trauma can be the most serious injuries of all. Brain damage causes problems with memory loss, seizures, as well as behavioral and cognitive problems. Some people can't function at all after a blow to the head.
- Neck Injuries – Hyperextending or wrenching your neck severely can result in serious pain and therapy for a long time to come, leading to costly medical treatment.
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries – A broken back or slipped disk can be incredibly painful and debilitating. Surgery is usually required and it can take months or even years to heal completely. Some people never fully recover and suffer with back pain for the rest of their life.
- Torn Tendons and Ligaments – Some of the most common places to tear a tendon or ligament is in the foot, leg or wrist. These injuries can be more painful than breaking a bone. For severe tears, surgery is often required.
- Broken Arms and Legs – Out of all the injuries, broken bones usually heal the quickest and without as many complications as many of the other injuries. However, it can still be painful and incapacitating.
How can you avoid the pain of a slip and fall injury? In short: prevention. Below is a list of tips and advice on how to prevent falls at work and in your home.
- Wear proper shoes. Flip flops are not proper shoes for working in a warehouse!
- Avoid clutter. While at work or home, try not to leave junk lying around for you to trip over. Put away items when you're finished using them.
- Have proper lighting. Switch out bulbs as soon as they go out. Before you get up in the morning or go to bed at night, make sure you have enough light to see.
- Clean up wet or slippery surfaces. When you see there is a spill, immediately wipe it up or make certain someone is aware of the mess so that it gets taken care of quickly.
- Good housekeeping. Keep objects off the stairs - this is a major cause of slip and fall accidents in the home.
Whether you are at work, at home or on someone else's property, always be aware of your surroundings.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury as a result of a slip and fall accident, call Denver's personal injury attorney Mack Babcock for a free consultation
. Proving fault in a slip and fall case can be tricky. You will need an expert slip and fall attorney
to help guide you safely through this difficult process.
While the Babcock Law Firm tirelessly works to obtain successful outcomes for its clients, prior positive outcomes are no guarantee of future success. Indicating prior positive results is in no way intended to guarantee future results.
Related Articles From our blog
A date has finally been set for the trial against […]
Did you know that every year hundreds of people suffer […]
Most of the Colorado residents recall the horrific tragedy that […]