There are countless reason why car accidents occur, but below is a list of some of the most common:
- Distracted driving is a huge problem. The NHTSA says that distracted driving is the root cause of anywhere from 25% to 50% of all accidents. Texting, staring at the person stalled on the side of the road, or even putting on your makeup is not worth the risk while driving!
- Drunk Driving is still a big problem. Absolutely, under no circumstances should you drink and drive or even consider getting behind the wheel if you have been drinking. According to MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers), almost half of all victims of fatal car accidents test positive for alcohol or drugs. Contact a DUI attorney immediately if you suspect alcohol was involved in your accident.
- Drowsy driving is a big mistake too! If you feel you are too exhausted to be able to focus behind the wheel of a car, don’t put yourself or others at risk. Find someone else to drive you where you need to be or take a taxi. Do everything you can to get the proper amount of sleep you need to be able to stay awake behind the wheel.
- Aggressive Driving also needs to be addressed. Excessive tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and verbal abuse and hand gestures to the driver beside you will only distract you from the road and cause accidents. Take a deep breath and remember that a person’s life is more important than you trying to prove a point.
- Weather can be an issue as well. Although we can’t control the weather, we can control the way we drive in it. Be sure to drive slower in rainy and snowy conditions. Also, don’t follow other cars as close as you normally would. Your vehicle’s brakes may take longer to stop in slick road conditions.
- Speeding is a problem. Speed limits are in place for a reason! Please obey them. The faster you go, the easier it is to careen out of control and the tougher it is to stop your car when needed.
If you’ve been in a car accident caused by no fault of your own, call experienced Colorado car accident attorney Mack Babcock for a free consultation. Mack will work diligently to help determine the full amount of damages you are entitled to and prove the liability of the other party.
For more information on car accidents, check out our article entitled “5 Duties Every Colorado Driver Has to Act with Reasonable Care”. Stay safe out there!