In 2012, according to MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers), there were 133 deaths due to drunk drivers in the state of Colorado. Furthermore, 28% of all traffic death related accidents were alcohol related. These accidents occur throughout the year but rise heavily during the holidays.
Below are some suggestions on how to stay as safe as possible from drunk drivers during this bustling season.
- First and foremost, be accountable for yourself. Plan ahead. If you know you are going to a party, count your drinks and keep them to one or preferably zero! If you are hoping to indulge and celebrate more, then prepare. Do you have a designated driver? Can you crash at the friends’ house that may be having the party? Are you prepared to call a taxi driver?
- When you are driving during the holidays, drive as if you assume everyone around you is a drunk driver. Stay your distance from the car in front of you. Watch for oncoming traffic and be prepared to get out of the way if one begins to come head on to hit you.
- Avoid highways if at all possible. Go the speed limit and also make certain that you are extra cautious at intersections where so many drunk driving accidents occur. Don’t just think that person is going to stop at the red light!
- Always report any driver that you suspect of drunk driving. It is better to be safe than sorry. You never know whose life you may save by calling the police and getting the drunk driver off the road.
- Avoid very late night driving. This is when many of the drunk drivers are out and about trying to get to their destination.
- The month of December and New Years’ Eve are heavy drunk driving days. If you can, try and make plans to not be on the road late on these days.
- Be a friend and don’t let your friend drive drunk no matter how mad they get at you. They will thank you in the morning!
We hope that you have wonderful holidays and that you stay as safe on the roads as possible. Nothing is guaranteed and no matter how many tips you put into place to avoid a drunk driver, there are some things that we can’t avoid. For information regarding how to deal with a drunk driving accident, refer to this article in our knowledge center.
If you or one of your loved ones has been involved in a drunk driving accident, please don’t hesitate to call our DUI accident firm serving Littleton, Aurora, Boulder and all communities in metro-Denver and across Colorado.