Did you know that every year hundreds of people suffer serious injury or even death from taking a heavy fall due to icy and treacherous conditions? In Colorado where we can get a lot of icy and snowy weather during the winter months, it is advisable to learn some tips and tricks on how to avoid being a victim of Mother Nature.
- Wear proper footwear – When you know it is an icy day, ditch the heels while walking. You must have proper boots on that will keep you as steady as possible. Keep the heels in a bag and change into them when you get out of these conditions. You need traction and to keep your feet warm. No time for glamour!
- Keep hands free – Wear gloves on hands as opposed to keeping them in your pocket while walking. You will need your hands if you start to take a tumble.
- No carry large heavy objects – Doing this can cause you to lose your balance more easily and also not be able to use your hands if needed to brace yourself.
- Take small steps – It is best to take small steps instead of really big ones. You are able to control yourself better and are less likely to tumble.
- Walk more slowly – This is not the time to be in a rush! You have a good excuse! It is icy outside! The slower you take it, the less likely you are to spill.
- Use any handrails available – Steps can always be treacherous during winter weather so take extreme caution and use handrails whenever possible.
- Help the elderly and children – The elderly and children have an even tougher time walking in the winter conditions. Be kind and help anyone that may need it.
It takes an average of 2 seconds to slip and hit the ground. The best thing you can do is take a tuck and roll position, which hopefully can prevent you from hitting your head or breaking your wrist.
When you fall on someone’s property, whether that be a business or residence, it can be a tricky situation as to if the owner is liable for the accident of not. Did the owner do all they could do to make the situation as safe as possible? There are also many other variables to consider where an experienced lawyer can help you through your situation.
If you or a family member has suffered a personal injury due to a slip and are not sure if you are entitled to compensation for your injuries, please call Denver’s premier slip & fall attorney R. Mack Babcock for a free consultation. Also, browse our knowledge center regarding slips and falls and other personal injury issues.