Tips to prevent concussions while on-the-job.
- Always wear proper head gear, even if you will only be up on a high ladder for a few minutes. All it takes is a split second to fall, and receive a head injury that could cause you lifelong problems.
- Keep the shelves and storage areas as clutter free and organized as possible so you limit what can fall on your head.
- Always use safety equipment that hopefully your company has!
- Don’t get in a hurry – put safety first regardless of the demands of the job.
- Practice caution at home and this may help you to remember to do so at work.
What are complications that can occur from a concussion?
- Changes in social behavior
- Vision problems
- Difficulty in distinguishing left from right
- Short term memory loss
- Nausea, vomiting and severe headaches
- Increased aggressive behavior
- Difficulty with hand and eye coordination
How do I treat and cope with a concussion?
- It is important to get plenty of sleep.
- Do not drink alcohol as this can slow down your recovery time.
- Don’t participate in anything that is too physically demanding.
- Consult with your physician about when you can drive, operate equipment and participate in rigorous activity.
When can I go back to work after a concussion?
- You are the one that truly knows how you are feeling. However, it is imperative to seek a doctor’s advice on this regarding when you should go back to work.
- Many people can improve in just a few short days from a concussion but for some, it is much longer. If this is not your first concussion, there could be more issues as well.
The CDC also says that 17% of all reported traumatic brain injuries are caused by motor vehicle collisions or other traffic related accidents. The best possible way to avoid is to always buckle up! No exceptions!
If you or a loved one has suffered a concussion due to an on-the-job injury or car accident at no fault of your own, call our Colorado personal injury and job injury attorney R. Mack Babcock for a free consultation. Also, consult our knowledge center that is full of articles on various issues.