We Offer Free Consultations    CONTACT US

Colorado Car Accident FAQs

Here’s what you need to know if you’ve been in a car accident in Colorado.

According to the Colorado State Patrol, there were 26,978 motor vehicle collisions in the state during 2017. Motor vehicle collisions are traumatizing events that often cause confusion and shock. However, certain actions must be taken in order to gain fair and adequate compensation from insurance companies.

What must I do immediately after a collision?

After an accident occurs, an able-bodied person must contact local law enforcement authorities. If anyone involved in the collision suffered injuries, the individual should also request the assistance of medical emergency personnel.

What information do I need to obtain?

After the accident, you need to get the name, contact information, driver's license identification and insurance information of the other driver. Eyewitness statements and contact information are also needed. If you or any of your passengers were injured during the collision, you must have documentation provided by the healthcare facility reporting the number and types of injuries suffered along with the treatments provided. If possible, use a mobile device to photograph both vehicles, skid marks, road conditions and other pertinent images. You will also need a copy of the accident report.

In the state of Colorado, an accident report must be filled out as soon as possible. Motorists may file a collision report online via the Online Crash Reporting System. However, to get a copy of the report, you must contact the Central Records Unit of the Colorado State Patrol and obtain a records request form. Provide the necessary information along with the required payment. The necessary information includes:

  • The driver's name
  • The date of the accident
  • The location of the collision
  • The case report number

The other driver's insurance company has offered to compensate. Should I settle the matter immediately?

Insurance adjusters use a number of techniques to settle claims as quickly and inexpensively as possible. Agreeing to their terms too early may deprive you of the compensation you deserve. By consulting with an attorney experienced with personal injury cases, you have a better chance of receiving appropriate payment for your damages.

I am undecided if I want to file a legal claim. What is the statute of limitation for filing a personal injury lawsuit in Colorado?

Individuals involved in motor vehicle collisions in Colorado have up to three years to file an automotive accident lawsuit. However, it is advisable to talk to an attorney about filing a claim as soon as possible while the recollection of events that occurred before, during and after the accident remain fresh.

I would rather avoid having to go to court. Is it not easier to simply file a claim with the appropriate insurance company and accept their decision?

Having to attend a court hearing or trial is time-consuming and inconvenient. However, without doing so you may not be awarded the compensation you deserve for immediate and long-term expenses. Consult with a personal injury attorney who will help you determine if the settlement the insurance company offers is reasonable given your individual circumstances.

What if I was not a vehicle driver but was only a passenger that was injured? What are my options?

Colorado does not have legislation restricting passengers from seeking compensation from insurance companies for injuries, pain and suffering. If you are a victim of a negligent driver, you have the right to file a lawsuit in order to obtain compensation for your losses.

If I am partially responsible for the accident, can I still qualify for compensation?

According to Colorado law, if it is determined that you were responsible for 50 percent or more of the collision, then you cannot receive compensation from the other driver. On the other hand, for example, if your responsibility was deemed as 20 percent then the other driver becomes liable for 80 percent of the blame and the financial expenses that you incur.

What do I do if the collision was caused because my vehicle was defective?

If it can be determined that a vehicle defect or a part defect led to the collision, you may be entitled to compensation from the vehicle manufacturer or the part manufacturer. In this instance, you should file a product liability lawsuit.

If you have been injured in a car accident in Colorado, contact the experienced
personal injury attorneys at The Babcock Law Firm.

Related Articles From our blog
time taken to settle a personal injury case
How Long Does it Take to Settle a Personal Injury Case?

After you’ve been in an accident, a million thoughts can […]

understanding the difference between tort and crime
Distinguishing Torts Lawsuits from Crimes

Legal jargon can be confusing – even for those of […]

difference between tort and civil law
Tort Law vs. Civil Law: How to Judge the Difference

In the grand scheme of the law, two predominant case […]

Client Testimonials

5-star review image
Workers Comp Settlement
Workers Compensation  |  Denver
Retained for representation following a Final Admission of Liability on a shoulder injury. Objected and obtained additional monies for client.
Would you recommend this to a friend? No
Overall Rating: 5.0 / 5

"Stephanie and Jan were a pleasure to work with. Both very professional. You have a good team. Take them out to dinner. Have a Great Day and again express my thanks to Stephanie' "

5-star review image
Workman's comp claim
Workers Compensation  |  Longmont
Retained following denial of treatment for lifting injuries and negotiated settlement for injured worker.
Would you recommend this to a friend? No
Overall Rating: 5.0 / 5

"Your staff is amazing. Jane made the intake and outtake processes thorough and reliable--always supportive. Aiden consistently provided a professional and efficient connection--again always supportive. Stephanie: So honest and patient--she is unbelievable and such an incredible guide--especially for someone like me. I didn't know how or where to begin, or what to expect. I am so grateful for the support and most of all, for the means that I need to go forward with treatment. I am continuing with my primary care doctor, and a specialist, able to submit claims through my regular insurance. Thanks you so much for being there! Barbara"

5-star review image
A Relief to be in Good Hands
Workers Compensation  |  Denver
Represented following a dog bite at work. Facilitated continuation of treatment following move out of state. Obtained settlement.
Would you recommend this to a friend? No
Overall Rating: 5.0 / 5

"The Babcock Law Firm exceeded my expectations. I would not have received the special medical treatment I required if it weren't for Mack's resources and persistence, I would not have known how to handle unexpected complications if it weren't for Jan's professionalism and deliberateness, and I wouldn't have understood my rights or how to defend them if it weren't for the firm's thoroughness, thoughtfulness, and top-notch expertise. I am so grateful for their support through such a traumatic and overwhelming event."

Read All Reviews

Schedule your free consultation with our attorney. No cost - No commitment.